Initial questions

CMSimple 4.0 und höher
Goustaf

Initial questions

Post by Goustaf »

Hi all,

I've just discovered CMSimple and it's looks like great.
I need a simple and strong solution to build webpages. I usually use bigger CMS (like Joomla) to create websites for clients. So, I have some commands in HTML, CSS and PhP.

CMSimple 4.3.1 is installed on local and I would like to :
- add a contact form. Is there a plugin or should I add a PhP script somewhere ?
- create a backup archive with my personal settings and use it for next installation.

I've created some responsive design templates for webpages (HTML + CSS + JS) and I would like to use them on CMSimple. Is there any tutorial about CMSimple templating ? If yes, I will be happy to share mine with your community.

And at last :
Bonne Année 2014!
Happy New Year 2014!
Glückliches Neues Jahr 2014!

Best regards from Burgundy.
Daniel
Gert

Re: Initial questions

Post by Gert »

Hi Daniel,

welcome to CMSimple ;-)

At first some answers to your questions:
Goustaf wrote:- add a contact form. Is there a plugin or should I add a PhP script somewhere ?
If you write a mail adress into the corresponding field of the CMS configuration (settings => CMS => Mailform => Email), the inbuilt mailform will be activated. You can call it with http://www.example.com/?&mailform .

If there is the template tag <?php echo mailformlink();?> in the template.htm, a link to the mailform appears.
Goustaf wrote:- create a backup archive with my personal settings and use it for next installation.
CMSimple no needs a database. Simply make a backup of the whole installation on your PC.

Your settings are stored in ./cmsimple/config.php - make a backup of this file for your personal settings.
Goustaf wrote:I've created some responsive design templates for webpages (HTML + CSS + JS) and I would like to use them on CMSimple. Is there any tutorial about CMSimple templating ?
Unfortunately not yet, but it is very easy and simple. Download some templates and look, how it is done.

You need a template.htm, a stylesheet.css and a folder "images/" for the images. The stylesheet.css will be included automatically by the template function toc(). Create a normal html page with dummy contents, style it with the stylesheet.css and then replace the dummy contents by the template tags, for example:

Code: Select all

<!-- LINKE SIDEBAR / SIDEBAR LEFT -->

<div id="tplge_sidebar1">
    <div id="tplge_sidebar1in">

<?php echo toc();?>
<ul class="subnav">
<li><?php echo printlink();?></li>
<li><?php echo sitemaplink();?></li>
<li><?php echo mailformlink();?></li>
</ul>

<div style="clear: both;"></div>
    </div>
<div style="clear: both;"></div>
    </div>

I will publish a basic template tutorial with the template tags next days, but at the moment please have a look over existing templates to get them:

http://www.ge-webdesign.de/cmsimpletemp ... te_Auswahl

Important hint:

Please don't use the functional templates (the first group) or TemPlug templates (the last group) for training, there are special template tags in use, not included in the normal CMSimple. Use only the "Mobile optimized Templates" or the "Classic - conventional templates" to learn something about the CMSimple Template Tags.

If your template is working, look at the sourcecode of the website and analyse the CSS classes, created by the template functions, for example by toc() . This CSS classes you can use for styling your template, in the stylesheet.css.
Goustaf wrote:If yes, I will be happy to share mine with your community.
That's great, do you have a link to some reference pages? I would be glad to welcome a new, creative template designer in the CMSimple community :)

A happy new year to you and the whole CMSimple Community,

Gert

Please don't use the
Gert Ebersbach | CMSimple | Templates - Plugins - Services
Goustaf

Post by Goustaf »

Hallo Gert !

Vielen Danke for your answers which are very useful ;)
I just need to discover the logic of CMSimple (and the tips) but it will be easier with the community help.

When you mean "Mobile optimized Templates", does it mean "Responsive Web Design" ?

My template are also using some JS. No trouble with CMSimple ?
You can see them here : http://www.web-eau.net/site-internet/microsite (with a demo view for each).
I will try to adapt one of mine and test it on my local CMSimple.

Thank in advance,
Daniel
Gert

Post by Gert »

Goustaf wrote:When you mean "Mobile optimized Templates", does it mean "Responsive Web Design" ?
Call it as ever you want ;)

For example have a look at this template:

http://www.ge-webdesign.de/cmsimpletemp ... ende_Boxen

Play around with the width of the browser window. Is it reponsive? For me it is, even if the single areas are having a fixed width.

Mobile optimized for me is at first:

- short lines (for zooming with 2 fingers)
- not supressing (disabling) zoom (for zooming with 2 fingers)
- spaces between link lists and icon links for fat fingers
- floating page elements
Goustaf wrote:My template are also using some JS. No trouble with CMSimple ?
Handle the template like a normal html page. JS should not make trouble, so long there are no conflicts with an added plugin (take care for unique variables- and functions names),

Gert
Goustaf

Post by Goustaf »

Ok so, "Mobile Optimized" = "Responsive Design" :D
(because in some countries, they used to say "Handy" for "Mobile" :mrgreen: ).

Best regards,
Daniel
Gert

Post by Gert »

Goustaf wrote:(because in some countries, they used to say "Handy" for "Mobile" :mrgreen: ).
"Mobile optimized" means all devices with small displays, maybe Handys :lol: (smartphones, mobile phones, ... ), mini tablets or wristwatches in the future ;)

Gert
fotonpk

Post by fotonpk »

Hi all!

I am using CMSimple from long time and I can mention that this system works great.
At the moment I have one problem. The server where I uploaded all files of CMSimple is based on windows solutions (not on Linux).
It seems that it doesn't work correctly, because I can't make any changes after log in.
I know that the problem is correlated with permission of files/folders, but in this case (I mean windows server I can't do this).

Hence my question: is it possible to install CMSimple on the windows server?

I will be grateful for quick response :)

Best,
Paweł
Gert

Post by Gert »

fotonpk wrote:I know that the problem is correlated with permission of files/folders, but in this case (I mean windows server I can't do this).
Hm ... if you can't give files writing permissions, you can't use any CMS, storing data in files (flatfile CMS).

I can't imagine, that there is any server in the world, where you can't give files writing permissions (except servers with automatic management of permissions/ownership of files).

Your request is the first one. Maybe the reason is not the server type, but the server configuration. There are not known problems especially on windows servers,

Gert
fotonpk

Post by fotonpk »

Gert, thank you very much for your answer.
I face this problem for the first time, because the customer has windows server.

So I will strongly recommend linux based solutions.

Greetings,
Paweł